Friday, September 18, 2015

finished: the changeling sweater


Two years ago, I made a sweater. It was beautiful. I loved it. And I promptly sent this mostly wool sweater through a dorm room wash-and-dry cycle. It now fits my younger sister beautifully. I'm finally returning to the pattern, after a fully appropriate two year mourning period. Same beautiful silk/wool fiber and everything, except now in wine, instead of blue.

This time, though, the fey folk got involved. During the process of working the body, I frogged from almost the armsceyes to the waist twice because of silly little mistakes. Then the same nightmare happened with the sleeve caps. My current theory is that the changelings are mixing up my work at night, because it couldn't possibly be that I have knitted the entirety of the sweater in my living room with varying levels of chaos, at varying levels of alertness, with a constant stream of reading material or videos to distract me. Nope. It's definitely the changelings messing up my work.

Pattern: Lepidoptera
Yarn: Knitpicks Gloss Lace in Port

Also important note: I left my house. These were taken in the alley between my house and the house next door. Don't they have the sweetest giant plant? Sometimes (as in a few weeks ago) it has the most gorgeous giant pink and white flowers. Those beautiful, beautiful flowers inspired me to take pictures of this sweater outside, but then I dragged my feet, and the flowers died back. Typical.



I feel like a lot of my thoughts on this sweater, this fiber, and this pattern have already been said. To be sure, this time the changelings inspired me with all kinds of mucky ideas about the sleeve cap, and now it lays funny (I sense yet another unpicking coming up), but for the most part, it's the same lovely, comfortable, elegant sweater last time around, just red as the wine sitting in my fridge.


So I'll just leave you with a deluge of pictures--most of which, to be perfectly honest, came out super weird. Like this one. Look at that weirdo!


Long story short: I love the sweater. I love the color. I need to redo those sleeve caps, so that they stop feeling funny. Also, some days I can't take a normal person picture to save my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...