Monday, April 29, 2013

diy college: better overnight oatmeal


Once again, I have crossed the line from the Pinterest imaginary kitchen to the real, fridge-and-microwave dorm kitchen. I made Refrigerator No-Cook Oatmeal as a test project about a week ago, excited at the idea of having a homemade (chocolate-filled) breakfast ready for me when I woke up, as opposed to being forced to spend extra time in the morning making the breakfast. (Hey, I'm a college student, cut me some slack!)

I got extra excited because I found all this in Paws n Go:


Mainly, the excitement came from that oatmeal--Paws n Go never has oatmeal. So I bought some and got ready for the most exciting breakfast ever. I used this recipe for no-cook oatmeal as my starter. And this is what resulted. 


Yummy, but the texture was very soupy. Very soupy. Like applesauce, only with oats and dark chocolate chunks and raspberries. I don't know if it was the substitution of oats or what, but I'm much more of a gloppy oatmeal person (even if that sounds gross), so I tweaked the recipe a little. This is what worked for me, to give me a thicker, more substantial oatmeal.

I've tried it both with and without that extra teaspoon of honey, and it really is good either way. It's just good all around. I've also tried this with raspberries and blueberries (and currently have one with strawberries chilling in my fridge). If you use a larger fruit, you'll want to chop it into fairly small pieces--that way you get them well-distributed!


The blueberries wanted a close up. :)

Chocolate and Fruit Overnight Oatmeal

1/3 c quick oats
1/4 c plain or vanilla Greek yogurt
2 tbs skim milk
1 tsp honey (optional)
2 squares of Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate
a healthy sprinkling of fruit (of whatever variety and as much as your fruit tooth--can that be a thing?--would like!)

Finely chop the chocolate. Mix together the oats, yogurt, milk, and honey (if using) in a Ziploc-esque container or Mason jar until well-blended. Add in the chocolate, and mix until well-distributed. Top with your fruit of choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...